Frequently Asked Questions

When is registration?

Students should register themselves as soon as they are assigned a registration time by ONE.UF the online student record system. You can view the academic calendar at the Registrar’s Office or Graduate School to find out the schedule for academic deadlines for each semester.

What are the requirements for registration?

Students must complete the courses required by their area as well as the department. The requirements for number of credits for registration are listed in this document. They are also listed on the Letter of Appointment you sign each semester. There are also specific courses that you must take when you are graduating – these specific course requirements can be found on the second page of the Registration form on the department website.

How do I register for classes?

Log in to ONE.UF using your Gatorlink ID and register through that system for all courses that are not department controlled.

What does “department controlled” mean?

It means the department or instructor has restricted enrollment for that course and the only way a student can enroll is to contact the department offering the course and request to be enrolled.

How do I enroll in a course that is department controlled in Psychology?

If the course you are trying to register for is department controlled by the psychology department, you will need to complete the Registration form which is available on the Psychology website. You must also present your UF ID and the completed, signed form to the Graduate Secretary in Room 114 during normal business hours (8:00am – 4:30pm). The Graduate Secretary cannot register any student over the phone or through email for security reasons.

How do I enroll in a course that is department controlled in another department?

If you wish to enroll in a course that is department controlled by another department, you will need to contact that department and follow the special procedures required by that department for registration.

Which classes are department controlled by Psychology?

Depending on the instructor, many graduate courses in the psychology department are department controlled in order to limit enrollment to our own graduate students. If you want to register for a psychology course and it does not appear on your ONE.UF menu of available courses when you are in the registration process, it is department controlled. The following courses are always department controlled.

  • PCO 7944: Practicum in Counseling Psychology
  • PCO 7945: Advanced Practicum in Counseling Psychology
  • PCO 7949: Internship in Counseling Psychology
  • PSY 6905: Individual Work
  • PSY 6910: Supervised Research
  • PSY 6940: Supervised Teaching
  • PSY 6971: Research for Master’s Thesis
  • PSY 7979: Advanced Research
  • PSY 7980: Research for Doctoral Dissertation

Who do I talk to about the classes I should take each semester?

Your faculty adviser will assist you in determining which classes you should take each semester to meet area requirements and department requirements. The Graduate Secretary should not advise you on course selections, although she can review department requirements with you, if you have questions about them.

How do I drop a class?

Complete the Drop/Add form available on the Psychology website, following the instructions listed there. You will need to obtain all the signatures yourself.

Why can’t I register?

Most likely, you have a hold on your records. These are typically a financial hold (you owe money to the university) or an emergency contact hold (you have not given the university your current emergency contact information). As a first-year student, you may also have a hold if you have not yet provided immunization information to the Infirmary.

How do I remove a hold?

Log in to your ONE.UF account and follow the instructions to remove the hold(s). You should do this as quickly as possible. If you receive a late registration penalty fee because you were unable to be registered for classes, you are responsible for the fees.

Can I have late registration penalty fees waived for me?

Unless a department administration error caused you to be assessed a penalty fee, the department will not be able to waive your fees.

When are my fees due?

Visit the Registrar’s Office website to find out the fee payment date.

How much do I pay for my fees?

Visit the fee calculator to figure out how much you owe for your fees.

What if I’m late or I don’t pay my fees?

Non-payment of fees by the posted deadline will result in financial penalties being assessed to your account and possibly registration holds.

How do I establish Florida residency?

All students who are eligible must apply for Florida residency as soon as possible, and document this residency with the registrar no later than the beginning of their second year. Applicants for residency status at UF must demonstrate legal ties to the State of Florida for the preceding 12 months prior to the start of classes, and must relinquish legal ties from other states that cannot be held concurrently.

Generally, documentation of residency includes a Florida driver’s license, car registration, voter’s registration and county declaration of domicile. Depending on their legal status, international students may not be able to establish Florida residency. For additional details, see the graduate school residency information.

What if I need a leave of absence due to health difficulties or a personal problem?

Any student who does not register at UF for a period of 1 term or more during the regular academic year needs prior written approval from their advisor and the graduate coordinator for a leave of absence. A copy of this approval must be given to the Graduate Program Assistant and put on file in the graduate office. If the leave lasts for more than 1 year, the student must reapply for admission on return.

Who do I talk to about a problem with my paycheck?

David Fowler in Room 114 handles payroll.

Who do I talk to about a problem with my tuition waiver?

The Graduate Secretary in Room 114 processes tuition waivers.

When do I need to set up a supervisory committee?

The student’s supervisory committee should be appointed as soon as possible after the student is admitted to the Graduate School, and no later than the end of the second term of graduate study. This is true for first-year students as well as advanced students who enter with a masters degree.

How do I submit my Supervisory Committee to the Graduate School?

Directions for setting up a Supervisory Committee are on the second page of the Supervisory Committee appointment form available on the Psychology website. Complete the form, get your Area Director’s signature and submit it to the Graduate Secretary in Room 114. The Graduate Secretary will get the graduate coordinator’s signature on the form and then enter your committee into the Graduate School database.

What do I need to do to complete my Master’s degree?

Unless otherwise specified, for any master’s degree, the university requires students to earn at least 30 credits as a graduate student at UF. No more than 9 of the 30 credits (earned with a grade of A, B+, or B) may be transferred from another approved university. At least half of the required credits (not counting PSY 6971-Master’s Research) must be in the major. In addition, there are specific departmental requirements Graduate Handbook for the masters degree. To determine the specific courses that you should take to meet departmental and area requirements, consult with your advisor or area director. All masters students must be enrolled in PSY6971 during the semester of graduation.

After submitting the completed thesis and completing all other degree requirements (but no earlier than the term before the degree is awarded) the candidate is given a final oral examination by the supervisory committee, on campus.

What do I need to do to complete my Ph.D. degree?

The Ph.D. degree requires at least 90 credits beyond the bachelor’s degree. All master’s degree credits counted in these credits must be earned in the last 7 years. In addition, there are specific area requirements and departmental requirements. To determine the specific courses that you should take to meet departmental requirements and area requirements, consult with your advisor or area director. All doctoral students must be enrolled in PSY7980 during the semester of graduation.

All Ph.D. candidates must take the qualifying examination before the doctoral final defense. Each doctoral candidate must prepare and present a dissertation that shows independent investigation, and that is acceptable in form and content to the supervisory committee and to the Graduate School. The work must be of publishable quality and must meet the Graduate School’s format requirements. After submitting the dissertation and completing all other degree requirements (but no earlier than the term before the degree is awarded) the candidate is given a final oral by the supervisory committee, on campus.

What are the deadlines for completing my qualifying exam?

All Ph.D. candidates must take a qualifying examination which includes both a written component and an oral defense. It may be taken during the third term of graduate study beyond the bachelor’s degree or later. The student must be enrolled in PSY7979 in the term that the qualifying examination is completed. Each program area in the department has its own procedures for completion of the qualifying exam. Students should consult with their advisors and doctoral committee concerning the content and procedures for this exam.

How do I transfer credits into my current degree program?

The department permits you to transfer 30 credits from another approved university. Contact the Graduate Secretary in Room 114 and she will give you a form to fill out to transfer these credits as a block. Once you have completed the form, bring it back to her with a copy of your transcript(s) and she will complete and submit the paperwork for you.

Can I get credit for a specific course taken at another university so that I do not have to retake it at UF?

If you have a copy of the complete syllabus from the course that you took elsewhere, and if that course consists of the same content as a course offered at UF (e.g., a course in the psychology department or a statistics class), you may be able to receive a waiver. This requires the faculty member teaching the comparable class at UF to certify, in writing, that you have already completed those course requirements. If the course is required for your program in the Department of Psychology, a waiver means that you will not need to retake the course at UF. Students seeking waivers should discuss the required procedures with their area director or with the graduate coordinator.

How do I get the forms for my thesis/dissertation final defense?

Email the Graduate Secretary at least two weeks prior to your scheduled defense meeting to have the necessary forms prepared. You will need to include the correct title of your thesis/dissertation, the meeting date, time and room of your defense. You must already have a Supervisory Committee appointed.

How do I get the forms for my qualifying exam defense?

Email the Graduate Secretary at least two weeks prior to your scheduled oral defense meeting to have the necessary forms prepared.

How do I get the forms for my thesis/dissertation proposal meeting?

There are no forms required for a proposal meeting.

How do I know if I am performing satisfactorily for my graduate program?

Your area director will complete an annual evaluation of your progress in the program. You should receive a copy of this evaluation and a copy should be on file in the graduate program office.

What do I need to do for graduation?

See the Graduate Secretary in Room 114 for a list of final term procedures.

What are the course requirements for graduation?

Course requirements vary for each area of study within the department. The semester of graduation, a student must be registered for a minimum number of credits (3 credits Fall or Spring and 2 credit in Summer). Master’s students must be registered for 3 credits of PSY6971 – Master’s Research and Doctoral Students must be registered for 3 credits of PSY 7980 – Dissertation Research. Students may not enroll in PSY7980 until they have passed the qualifying exam and have been admitted to candidacy for the Ph.D.

What rules am I responsible for knowing while I’m at UF?

Make sure that you know and follow all policies and requirements of your program area. Review the departmental Graduate Handbook and the Graduate School regulations to learn about all important requirements.

How do I schedule a room for a thesis, qualifying exam, or dissertation meeting?

The Graduate Secretary in Room 114, handles room reservations.

What resources are available to help me get started in research?

It is important for all students to become involved in research early in their graduate career. Become familiar with the major research themes of the lab(s) you join – general goals, and all recent, current, and planned investigations. Your advisor/mentor is your best resource for research ideas, literature of interest, and topic areas for your master’s thesis or dissertation. Many students conduct research with other faculty in their area or in related areas of interest and such collaborations are often a very important part of student research training. Other members of your supervisory committee and other students in your area can also assist you in discussing research ideas. Begin looking at the important journals in your field and reading key empirical and theoretical papers. Most areas have a weekly or monthly seminar for research discussions and these can also be an important source of ideas for you.

The University of Florida libraries maintain excellent databases that can be utilized to search out the latest literature in your interest area, and to find electronic copies of important research papers.

For general advice about academic research and how to be successful, see The Complete Academic: A Career Guide (2004) by Darley, Zanna, and Roediger.

It is important for students to follow departmental policies with respect to research. New students should not proceed to gather any research data without supervision from faculty or advanced graduate students. All data collection with human participants at the University of Florida requires approval and oversight by an Institutional Review Board, and all animal research requires approval by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). All research projects must follow the ethical rules of the American Psychological Association.

At the University of Florida, many undergraduate students are interested in becoming involved in research. With proper training, these students can make a significant contribution to your research program. Ask your mentor how this can be done in your laboratory area.

What resources are available to assist me in teaching?

At the beginning of each fall semester, the Graduate School offers general orientation sessions on teaching and teaching assistantships. The University uses Powerpoint and WEB-CT for most courses and you should familiarize yourself with these. The Academic Technology Teaching Center offers regular workshops on how to use resources available at UF (e.g., on-line resources for course websites, discussion groups, and posting grades or materials) as well as programs on teaching effectiveness. We strongly encourage all students to take advantage of these opportunities.

We also encourage you to give guest lectures and make presentations in courses (especially courses where you serve as teaching assistants). When you do a lecture or presentation, it is a good idea to ask for feedback to improve your teaching from professors and other graduate students who have observed you. Students can also use individual teaching evaluation surveys to get feedback on a single lecture from students in a class or seminar.

All students in our program must teach at least one course before they graduate. For most students, teaching is a challenging but very satisfying experience. Collect syllabi from faculty and other graduate students who are teaching. Individual instructors may be willing to share powerpoint slides or outlines to assist you in developing a class or a specific lecture. Department teaching policies and basic “how to” information can be found in the “Teaching Policies and Questions” document.

The American Psychological Association Division 2 (Society for the Teaching of Psychology) is also an excellent source for materials on teaching, and frequently holds conferences on the latest research findings. Research can also be found in quality journals such as Teaching of Psychology. Numerous books on teaching may be useful, such as Lessons Learned: Volume 1, 2, and 3: Practical Advice for the Teaching of Psychology edited by Perlman, McCann, and McFadden and The Compleat Academic: A Career Guide (2004) by Darley, Zanna, and Roediger. Although it is not offered regularly, the department sometimes offers a course on the Teaching of Psychology which will assist you in writing exams, and preparing lectures and other course materials.